Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tetrad Color Wheel


Some things I've learned about painting with a "tetrad" color group:
* Choose from the color wheel what your dominant color will be
* Next, choose a "sister" color either 2 to the left or right of the dominant color, or 3 to the left or right of the dominant color.
* Now, the remaining 2 colors are chosen for you by making a straight line across the inside of the color wheel as in this diagram.
* The tetrad consists of 4 colors, not just any random colors; they are in harmony.
* Instead of a square or rectangle you could think of it in terms of an "X" - across from each of your chosen colors, is it's complement. Striking grays can be created by mixing complements, or used in it's pure color make the painting sing.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
As a child I began designing my own clothes while in 5th grade. Grandma let me use fabric from her stash and showed me how to use the treadle machine. My love for art and the creative began at that point, always having a current project of some kind. Painting has provided a unique creative outlet for me that I am thankful for, an exciting journey where there's always something new to learn.